.zip to .jar

Discussion in 'Minecraft Help' started by BurningIce2, May 11, 2014.

1. BurningIce2

BurningIce2 Active Member VIP

When I am downloading mods they are often in a .zip file, but in order for them to work in need them in .jar form. Anyone know how to convert .zips in to .jars?

Albert Einstein only started to speak his first words at 3 years of age. :O I can still be a genius!

2. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

I'd suggest you start using forge mod loader (get the installer/installer-win for 1.7). Basically you just install forge, then put all mods (zip or jar versions, doesn't matter) into your mods folder the minecraft directory. For 1.7 and later you should never have to manually copy over files while installing mods, just drag and drop.

hywzerboydy likes this.
  3. BurningIce2

Weird... I already use forge but it doesn't load the mods that are in .zip format....

Albert Einstein only started to speak his first words at 3 years of age. :O I can still be a genius!

4. StephenP67

StephenP67 Well-Known Member VIP

As Z_Millla mentioned most mods don't need to be unzipped for Forge, you just place the zips in the mods sub-folder. There are some mods though that are actually multiple mods that may need unzipping. If that is the case it should unzip automatically if you just double-click the file. Zip is a pretty universal format and most systems should be able to handle them natively without the need for additional software. If they don't open you could try right-clicking and select a program from the "open with..." pop out menu.

5. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

You're talking about client side mods right? If you open the .zip file and there is a .jar in there just drag it out and use that.

6. BurningIce2

1.yes, I wanted to download Rei's minimap
    2. In the .zip file there was no .jar file, only .class files

7. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

An easier map to download is Zan's minimap. Its a jar file, and works the same way. Just remember to turn off the player and hostile mob radar

Sent from my House that is mine with my alive dog

THEdeadRETURNED likes this.
  8. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

I just checked and rei's and zan's maps don't look like they've updated in a while, try voxelmap.

9. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

o shoot im using voxelmap xD

10. BurningIce2

Voxelmap it is then.

11. THEdeadRETURNED

THEdeadRETURNED Active Member VIP

voxel is zan's :p

BurningIce2 and oiShocKWavesv like this.
  12. SpaceCadetKevin

SpaceCadetKevin Well-Known Member VIP

Winrar drag and drop still works fine for me.

Sent from the new and improved space phone.

13. StephenP67

StephenP67 Well-Known Member VIP

Sounds like that was the jar file. You could try just renaming it from .zip to .jar as I know you can rename .jar to .zip if you want to extract the contents of the file.

14. BurningIce2

I tried that but it wouldn't work....

15. SkinnedRat

SkinnedRat New Member

This is correct. When I've made jar files in the past, I just use the zip on the command line. The file format is exactly the same.

16. BurningIce2

Hmm... weird...