Peaceful and PvP Reset: Feedback Appreciated

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by PhuzzYLogiK, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

Did you happen to read my post pie? I myself am giving up numerous builds and lots of supplies. In my scenario rupies carrying over would. be up for debate.

Mrtreefingers isn't the best person to refrence in this. He wanted the server to reset 10 months ago: http://www.shadecrest.com/site/index.php?threads/suggestions-from-mrtree.1349/

2. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

Thank God for Max.

Not saying it was a bad idea, just saying it would have been more negative than positive.

3. Thomasdd13

Thomasdd13 Active Member VIP

Thank you max. I think the idea of cleaning/regenerating the messy areas that were either old houses or abandoned town would be a great compromise for those for and those against.

4. PikaXeD

PikaXeD New Member VIP

Actually, yes! I am totally going to agree with Imaxorz. Having a changing spawn would help. A lot.

5. Contender327

Contender327 New Member VIP

I realize all my comments are after the fact, but I felt like contributing to the thread. That is, at least something more substantial than suggesting PhuzzY may be a liberal or that the loss of my digital goods is a kind of injustice; for example.

I'm going to go quietly away and build now. =)

6. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

Does the real world reset every six months?

No.

7. North_Korean

North_Korean Active Member VIP

This idea is terrible we have worked hard for what we have. Plus your new aren't you? I have been playing for a year I have a town, money, items. Why should I have to restart? Plus that is exactly what herocraft does. If I wanted to do that I would play herocraft.

8. North_Korean

Plus the map has history granted you would not understand this but we have never reset this being a max point he likes the map. So do I and alot of the community I would think agrees.

9. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

Not to be random or anything, but North you gotta start putting only 1 post instead of 1 post split into 2.

10. Thomasdd13

Thomasdd13 Active Member VIP

As i have said so many times before, this is a bad idea to a problem. It's not like i would go cry in my room with a bottle of vodka if it's wiped, i just would have a desire to play at all or try knowing it's just going to get wiped again on the whim of new members. If you work for a goal, you expect it to stay put; and a sandcastle takes 1 hour with about 2 people. making a town with everything we had was close to 60 in it's hayday. you can't completely erase the footprints people have made on this server without expecting them to leave or give up. plus new people like to be impressed and have a place to build and fit in, if people join and see small shack for houses or nothing because people will but less then 50% of their effort into what they make, they will leave for a server that has builds like we have now and stay there. Let's kill this idea in the water now.

11. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

A lot of new players stick to themselves because other new players might be griefers (at this point in mc a lot of people are just griefers because they have no lives and are bored) and I don't really know the other reasons, one might be because they want to make build up their own history on the server or do not want to be given their fame by veteran players (rise of an under dog vs inheritance)

I really want to see how the server goes with the new things that we're adding as well, I've almost forgot about them.

You're forgetting that this is how the server started, hutt's next to each other. I doubt anyone built a mansion as their first house, or if they did it probably wasn't that good.

I made a demreq months ago and still haven't gotten a green flag from another admin

http://www.shadecrest.com/site/index.php?threads/pine-square-community.3007/

12. PhuzzYLogiK

PhuzzYLogiK Member

In an attempt to clarify the idea, here's a case study:

Let's say I have 100,000 rupies and all the resources I could want. This is completely achievable after a few months on the server.

I can do the following things with my money:
    - Chest auctions
    - Start a town
    - Buy even more items from shops and do a project

What's the effect on the economy? Money changes hands, but it never leaves the server (except in founding a town, but that is a one-time expense). Chest auctions (which buy from shops) and shops both direct money to a few individuals. And guess what? The ONLY thing those people can do with that money are the SAME three things I could do with mine. So now these shop owners say, "Well, I don't need money or resources, so I can lower my prices to clear everything out." Then everything becomes so cheap and accessible that the server becomes creative for all intents and purposes. Survival has become secondary to the economy. People can afford to build whatever they want, so they do. And then they go inactive because after they've built everything they want, what is left? A game with no point. They can buy anything they want.

Survival with unlimited time and resources becomes a de facto creative game. If people wanted to play creative, they would move to the creative server (which I gather people have).

Actually, the easiest and most effective plan would be to completely reset everything. The intent of carrying over rupies was to give players that have put more time into the server an advantage as they restart, while still rebalancing the economy.

This would not result in a worse economy. It seems you didn't even read what I wrote. Pie, in your own thread on diamond prices, do you not understand the irony of the fact that you complain about low prices on one page and brag about setting low prices to undersell other stores on the next page? You're creating the very problem you're complaining about. And that cycle will continue as long as unlimited resources are present.

13. waterpower1

waterpower1 Active Member

There is only one solution to all of this, tax. When you start a town both you and the town are taxed, therefor destroying the rupies. This is what the rest of the server has been talking about over the last few days. Get the guests and new members involved in the rest of the server, and the best way to do that is to treat them with a little bit of pvp. Distract them from mining (which is the problem) and get them to join towns and town raids. The players get taxed and the mayor uses that money to buy materials, buy plots or simple keep it for him self.
    By getting rid of towns/replacing them, you have just removed one aspect of shadecrest in an effort to promote normal minecraft, which is all about MINING!!!

14. PhuzzYLogiK

PhuzzYLogiK Member

I think every 12 months would be more appropriate, due to the reasons you've listed.

Did any of you play Minecraft when it was single player? Wouldn't you create new worlds all the time to keep things fresh? I was a casual player, and I made at least 50 worlds. Starting over once a year shouldn't kill anyone.

The picks aren't the problem, in my opinion. The problem is created because by selectively resetting only part of the server, you artificially affect the market. Here's proof: Fortune only works on redstone, coal, emerald, lapis, some food, glowstone and diamonds. Has the price of gold fallen? Slimeballs? TNT? Eyes of Ender? These cannot be accounted for by enchantments.

Markets work because they are a zero-sum game. Only resetting mining is a case of "having your cake, and eating it too", because you allow people to keep what they previously collected in the old mining world. So now you have ALL the resources of TWO mining worlds in the SAME ONE Peaceful/PvP world. This is NOT zero-sum, therefore the market is doomed to be broken. And it gets worse with four or five or ten mining world resets.

[edit: Just to clarify: this is such a big issue because--as I said above--when the markets are broken, you're essentially playing creative, not survivial. It fundamentally changes the game into something different than what people joined for.]

No, because no (or very few) resources would carry over, you would then have the resources of ONE mining world for ONE Peaceful/PvP world.

It's not just an issue of the number of towns, but the quality of towns. How many towns actually have more than 4-5 consistently active players? Of those, how many existing towns could be reasonably expanded? Put differently, of those, how many towns are no longer "in progress"?

The market is affected by both quantities of resources and quantities of money. As I said, the easy solution is to wipe them both. But, I think that people who put a lot of time into the server deserve to have some advantage after the reset, so I proposed rupies would be carried over. However, if those rupies are not taken back out, the market will be immediately broken again with the first player shops.

Longtime players should move into the reset with hundreds of thousands of rupies. This would allow them to skip the hut phase and build a mansion right away. It would also allow towns and nations to be quickly established. As Contender said, the prices at the admin shops would be quite high, because the point is to drain rupies while providing a slightly easier start. The amount of resources spawned in at these shops would be negligible compared to the amount available in the mining world.

This will work if people realize that, as I said before, rupies have essentially NO USE. Would you rather sit on 250k of worthless digital money, or immediately have supplies to start a town?

15. Dynodamon

Dynodamon Well-Known Member

I don't think people are really reading the intent in this thread. It really isn't about the economy (especially not about this ridiculous fixation over diamond prices). It is trying to reintroduce "survival" into our survival server. As of right now, it seems like we are a tougher version of creative. From I'm reading, people seem to be adament of just hoarding their materials and just creating. If that is how you have fun, more power to you but I feel we can be better than that. Let us try to identify the problems at their source.

16. PhuzzYLogiK

PhuzzYLogiK Member

Oh, okay, by your logic we should also never reset the mining world. See how that works out.

Would you like to think it through and try again?

Why are you limiting your imagination to what has been built in the past? Why are you so afraid to build something new and different? Are you seriously concerned with your "status" in a video game? What can you do with all your money and items, besides participate in a market that will continue to head towards irrelevance?

17. Hakalu

Hakalu Member VIP

Most of what I hoard is just diamonds and tons of gold. Otherwise it can be chestfuls of sand.
    Tweeting the map will be a better idea then just destroying everything.
    For example changing spawn as stated in a previous post or deleting abandoned towns to promote new construction.

18. Cashkid32

Cashkid32 Member VIP

I know that feel sis.

I have too many experiences of servers resetting worlds on past servers for the 1.8 update. Man, I lost everything on almost every server I played on. It stunk a lot and I never returned. Making skyscraper wheat farms and gaining hundreds of diamonds took hours...

But this is a different server. Now you guys care about the community. Maybe we could do a structure transfer thing. There can be a price on it or not. I don't care. As long as the community thinks it's a good idea.

I'm trying to think in a rich dudes shoes here... If I had a giant shop and hours of building I wouldn't like having to get it all reset. But the new world and resources and stuff does sound great... If I could get my stuff moved then I certainly would. A way to do that is the hard part. The admins can easily just WE it, but should there be a price? If not then every noob is gonna ask for their little cobblestone shacks to be moved. Although, there aren't that many noobs as of now. So that's good.

While we're at it, can we return to resetting the mining world every 2 (or whatever it was) weeks?

19. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

We should delete old buildings that haven't been used in a month?

20. North_Korean

My biggest problem with this is that phuzzy what do you have to lose?
    Honestly Nothing. I just made my town it is now the biggest too see that go away would make me very angry. I also have my shop going again I don't hoard I am trading constantly I see this as your own way to try getting ahead because you just started though you do not state that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.